From the Editor

In our first-ever themed issue, we wanted to push the boundaries of what it means to be a writer and an artist. Of course we create, but for what purpose? The Risk and Revelation theme for the February 2017 residency in Port Townsend, WA, resonated so strongly that we decided to take it further and made it our call for submissions.

But more than that, I believe it is our call to action.

As our world continues to shift and change and grow, the future is uncertain. Fear of failure and fear of the unknown drive us to do appalling things, but it’s in these dark moments that hope prevails and the true heart of humankind shines through. And hope always prevails, because while we divide ourselves by beliefs or ideas and build walls due to race or culture, are we not truly the same underneath?

We yearn, we grieve, we dream, we hope.

Allow us to take you on a journey. We begin where risk often takes us, The Fall, and we end with the renewed desire to Forge Ahead. It is our intention that by going on this journey with us, you will walk away inspired to take risks in your own life, and to always seek new revelations. Let it be your call to action, as it was ours.

Jalyn Powell | Editor-in-Chief

P.S.
I encourage you to read the Editor’s Web Selection poems. They fall more into the categories of science fiction and fantasy than literary. It is a risk in and of itself to write SF/F and even riskier to write it in the form of poetry, so let me take a moment to personally thank the authors and express my gratitude for their courage:

The poem “Timewire” by Ariel Basom is an impressionistic glimpse into the nature of time, as well as our small understanding of it and of ourselves. I find that the poem interweaves the neo-noir grittiness of Blade Runner with the trippy time-hopping of Twelve Monkeys, but that might just be me and my SF/F leanings. What do you see when you read it? Where or when do you go?

The poem “The Blue Man’s Deal” by Victoria Veldhoen follows faithfully in the footsteps of The Brothers Grimm, pulling in elements of curses eternal and the trickster devil into her traditional narrative verse. Like the author, I am drawn to stories that examine the double-edged sword of immortal life. What is gained by never having to die? And what is lost?